Binder (in paint)

Binder (in paint)

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Binder refers to substances that hold the particles of pigment together in paint. All paints include a binder of some sort because this is what keeps the pigment in place after the paint dries.

Acrylic painting mediums generally include a synthetic binder designed to form a film after water has evaporated. Meanwhile, oil painting workshops will tell you that oils use organic binders, traditionally linseed oil. As for watercolor painting, that requires paints that use gum arabic as a binder.

Binder vs. Vehicle

Sometimes the term is used interchangeably with vehicle, although this is technically incorrect because it is merely part of the vehicle component of a paint. In oil paints, the binder constitutes the whole vehicle, whereas acrylics may have up to 10 components of the vehicle, of which the binder is only one.

See also: Egg Tempera

Watch the video: Making Watercolor Binder + Painting with my Handmade Paints! (June 2022).


  1. Danil

    This post really helps me make a very important decision for myself. For which special thanks to the creator. I look forward to new posts from you!

  2. Paien

    I wanted to talk to you, mine is what to say.

  3. Tracy

    You are definitely right

  4. Rio

    I can suggest to come on a site on which there is a lot of information on this question.

  5. Faegor

    All this only the convention

  6. Thurstun

    It agree, a useful piece

  7. Zulule

    For the life of me, I do not know.

Write a message